Tourism is one of Nepal’s largest industries. However, some of the current challenges for the sector include sustainable innovation, natural resource limitations, climate shocks , environmental degradation, lack of infrastructure for energy access, drinking water supply, road and air transport and publicity amongst others. More recently, the unprecedented nature of the COVID-19 pandemic comes with dire consequences for Nepal’s tourism sector. Tourism entrepreneurs and stakeholders estimate that the sector could lose “NPR 40 billion to the crisis, and anticipate job losses for 1.1 million workers”.
Hence with the aim to help Nepali tourism enterprises transform to resilient and sustainable enterprises, Nepal Communitere brings to you Tourovation Hub Program. Tourovation Hub Program is an 18-months project titled Building Innovation for Nepal’s Tourism Sector by adopting renewable energy and energy efficient business models. We will be working jointly with ICIMOD and SELCO Foundation to support Nepali tourism entrepreneurs to harness innovative opportunities through ideation, incubation and acceleration of renewable energy (RE) and energy efficient (EE) solutions and approaches.
- Design Sprints will be conducted in October 2020 to select 10 tourism enterprises to participate in the seven months long incubation program (November 2020 – May 2021).
- Out of the 10, five enterprises will move into the post-investment phase (June – December 2021).
- Access to a comprehensive business development curriculum and learning resources
- Explore and integrate renewable energy solutions and approaches
- Monthly, in person or virtual, masterclasses
- Bi-weekly strategic business coaching to meet enterprise milestones
- Peer learning, enterprises work collaboratively and learn from one another
- Nepal Communitere’s network of industry experts, technical consultants
- The Hub’s partners and steering committee (tourism and renewable energy experts)
- Customers and visibility through Nepal Communitere’s monthly newsletter, social media networks and mailing list
- Makerspace to design and prototype with 3D printers, plasma cutter, welding, and carpentry tools (based on requirements)
- Dynamic furnished space, with hi-speed internet and backup electricity (depending on the COVID-19 situation)
- Already adopted or aim to adopt RE and EE solutions, strategies and approaches
- Businesses beyond the ideation phase with at least 2 years traction in the market
- Entrepreneurs who demonstrate a readiness to adopt innovative approaches to growth of their businesses
- Need basic and practical business development skills
- Proactive, passionate and visionary founders
- Hungry to learn, grow and network
- Require seed funding to iterate, pivot or innovate their businesses
- Women entrepreneurs and women-led enterprises are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application: Apply Here
Application Deadline: 27th September 2020, 11:59 PM
For more information, visit Tourovation Hub Program